- If you’re planning a big fundraising event (or an event of any kind), you know that there are many advantages to using an event ticketing platform to help manage attendance and sell tickets. But do you know how to fully realize these advantages? More importantly, do you know how to use event ticketing to its full potential in order to effectively sell tickets to your event and (hopefully) sell out?
- In this post, I’m going to tell you exactly how to use event ticketing effectively and boost ticket sales.
But first, what are the advantages of event ticketing?
- Early Payment Collection – Utilizing an event ticketing platform will allow your event to sell tickets and collect payments prior to your event, instead of at the door on the day/night of your event. Selling tickets early will provide two major advantages for you. The first is that early ticket sales will create funds that can be used to cover your expenses as you plan your event and secure a venue and vendors. Second, selling a portion of tickets prior to your event will also make event check-in/registration significantly quicker.
- Better Tracking – One of the most obvious advantages of event ticketing is that it allows for more structured tracking so that you know how many people will be attending your event and who these people are. With most event ticketing platforms, you will also be able to analyze trends in ticket sales over time. Some trends we suggest paying attention to include:
- Time of sale (Do I sell more tickets in the morning? Over the weekend?)
- Age of ticket buyers (Do they skew older? Younger?)
Using Event Ticketing Effectively
- Now that we’ve covered the advantages of event ticketing, it’s time to discuss how to use event ticketing effectively in order to sell out at your next event. These tips come from years of experience consulting with event fundraising hosts and running our own annual event
Tip # 1 – Make Use of Scarcity
A topic we’ve talked about before when discussing fundraising event promotion is the value of creating scarcity for your event tickets. Scarcity is also known as FOMO (fear of missing out) and can be one of the most powerful forces you have in driving ticket sales. We love using scarcity to show potential ticket buyers that a finite number of tickets are available and if they don’t act soon, they could miss out on an amazing event!
Tip # 2 – Utilize Past Attendees / Supporters
As we mentioned at the beginning of this post, using an event ticketing platform means you will have contact information on your guests that you can use for future events. This data will become invaluable to your team as you prepare for your next fundraiser; your past attendees are people who are familiar with and support your event, making them more likely to attend.
Tip # 3 – Maximize Your Network and Committee
Does your upcoming event have a committee or close network that is contributing to the event’s success? If so, neglecting the social reach of this group would be a huge mistake! Instead, be sure to leverage the networks of your committee members, volunteers, and close supporters to help drive ticket sales. This can go from your committee’s closest friends and family being early ticket buyers to having your committee post on their social media pages to promote the event and sell more tickets.
Tip # 4 – Use Social Media
Social media will be one of your greatest tools in driving ticket sales. Creating a Facebook event and having your volunteers and committee promote the event will provide a great boost in ticket sales and will increase your overall footprint. Additionally, using our “early adopter” strategy combines nicely with your Facebook page, as it will populate your event with an initial bank of people who are “attending.”
Tip #5 – Run a Ticket Giveaway
While we would never encourage you to give too many tickets away, a ticket giveaway is a cost effective and engaging way to increase ticket sales. Using a giveaway, you can motivate your guests or potential ticket buyers to complete some sort of task in order to have a chance to win a ticket. Tasks can include:
- Posting about your event
- Referring a friend to buy a ticket
Tip #6 – Promote Your Event
Promoting and marketing your event may be an obvious way to increase your ticket sales – but have you considered all of the different channels and strategies you can use to promote your event? To make it easy, we’ve listed 37 different ways to promote your fundraiser! The strategies include anything from using social media to giving your event a unique name.